Saturday, November 22, 2008

Depending on the Kindness of (Semi-)Strangers

After last weekends debacle, I took a trip to the GGPark archery range during the week. I figured that since it was foggy, cool, and Tuesday, I would not have a problem getting a lane. But when I got to the park, lo and behold, every lane was (again) filled. Apparently, City College has an archery class that meets Tuesdays and Thursdays. Just my luck.

Fortunately, an archer who I've seen and talked to a few times before saw my situation, and not only offered to share his lane and target with me, he even moved up from 90 to 70 meters so that I could shoot at my distance. Carlo said that he would hate for someone to come all the way out to the range and not be able to shoot, that's why he offered the spot to me.

As for the shooting itself, I started out really well, with a dead center X. After that, I missed that target numerous times, bounced a few arrows off the rubber bottom of the hay bale, and ripped two more vanes off my arrows. Not a great day of shooting, but I did have a good time, and was able to get some ends in.

Back to the range today. Maybe I'll even get my own lane this time. But with the sun out, I'm not holding out TOO much hope...

No comments: