Thursday, May 1, 2008

Archery Takes Off, Part 1: Arriving at Archery USA

Before I left San Diego for Boston, I asked Lloyd about archery ranges in and around Boston that I could shoot at once I arrived. Having just bought a new bow, I was not about to give up the sport. Lloyd gave me a couple of names of range owners that I could email. One of them, Anthony Bellettini, owns and operates Archery USA in Dedham, Massachusetts. After trading emails with Anthony and another range owner, looking at maps of the Boston area, and checking out public transportation options, it became clear that Archery USA was not just the best option, but the only option for me to continue pursuing archery.

On October 7, 2006, I took my new bow out to Dedham and walked into Archery USA. Introducing myself to Anthony as having spoken by email. I asked Anthony if he could set my arrow rest on the new riser, and he agreed to do it. He was even nice enough to not charge me for the setup. I started firing arrows into the targets 18 meters away, and at the end of the day, made my way back to Boston.

The next Saturday, I made a return trip to Dedham. And the week after that, and the week after that. Over and over again, week after week, I put in appearances at the range. With the tips and advice I was getting, as well as finally having regular practice that was more than just social, I was finally starting to develop as an archer. And I had a sanity-maintaining distraction from the experience that is the first year of law school.

No comments: